It’s a common complaint. "I’m just so tired". "I just dont seem to have any energy".
And for women who do too much, it’s epidemic.
We just never seem to have enough energy to get us through our days. So what can we do about it?
I was having a low energy week this week. I’d get to 6pm and be yawning constantly. Not a good sign. I put things off because I just didnt have the strength to deal with them. Also not a good sign.
For me, the option of a temporary boost in energy by relying on external stimulants (like coffee or Pepsi Max ;0) is NOT an option. I know the effect they have on my health at the end of the day, and it isnt good. But others live on caffeine and other stimulants like sugar and chocolate – patching the pothole rather than getting to the bottom of the issue.
How can you remove the low energy pothole? Here are just 6 of the ways I have found:
1. Check there is no medical reason for the tiredness – make an appointment to visit your doctor or alternative health practitioner and talk to them about your lack of energy.
2. Boost your activity rate – get some fresh air and exercise. Go for a walk, shoot hoops with your kids, ride a bike, go to the gym, do your yoga
3. Take a break or take a nap when the feeling of exhaustion hits. 15 minutes on the couch or in the hammock can work wonders
4. Clean out a drawer or cupboard – nothing like throwing out junk and being left with a clean, tidy, organised space to boost your energy levels
5. Eat breakfast. In fact, I’ll go one better than that. Eat PROTEIN for breakfast. Sustained energy to get you through to lunch without needing a sugar fix mid-morning.
6. Go with the flow. Sometimes there are things happening in our life which will cause a huge mental or emotional drain. If your life is topsy-turvy then you cannot expect to have the energy levels you normally have – they are being used up dealing with the current crisis. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow, and trust you will get through to the other side in one piece.
So, what strategies do you have for dealing with low energy levels? Please leave a comment below and let me know.