Following on from yesterday when I talked about friends and sisters moving half way across town to improve their lifestyle… I would like to throw around some more ideas about this subject of designing your lifestyle to fit your life. Some examples that come to mind:
- a colleague of mine has this week again converted to ‘summer time‘ for her business. During the warmer months of the year she will work 8am to noon, and 3pm to 6:30pm – leaving the three hottest hours in the middle of the day for herself. She is designing her life around the weather – and adopting a more Mediterranean style of life. Would your boss go for a siesta break do you think??
- other friends are negotiating days and times with their employer to suit their other commitments such as study, health and fitness activities, or children’s timetables
- the idea of outsourcing also has a lot of merit when you start to look at hourly rates, and what you can achieve in the time you don’t clean the house, do the ironing, shop for groceries, take the dog to the vet, or whatever…
- a dedicated surfer taking a cut in pay and moving close to the beach so they can indulge in their passion without the two hour trip there and back again each weekend…
- all those people taking a ‘sea change’ and moving out of the city for lifestyle reasons, or a better place to raise their children
- quitting corporate life and starting your own small business with the ability to set your own hours, be available for family when necessary etc
- ‘telecommuting’ from home, thus avoiding commutes, office politics, high corporate wardrobe costs, lunch money, and having the ability to keep working even when the kids are sick
I’m leaving this topic open for discussion, because I think there is a wealth of ways we could redesign our lifestyle to fit our lives.
Is there something that is really bugging you, that you could make quick and simple, or more far reaching and drastic steps to eliminate/fix/change? What bold, courageous step could you make today to improve your lifestyle in leaps and bounds?