I am surrounded by birthdays at the moment, friends, brothers and brothers-in-law… happy birthday to all who were born in the lovely month of October.
And I am reminded just how special birthdays are to us as individuals – and how, sometimes, as life gets sooo busy, we forget to make the birthdays of those dear to us important as well. So I am trying to be more aware of each special day – and to make an effort ahead of time (not another ‘belated’ moment). AND I am looking at ways to make this easier and more in tune with my busy busy lifestyle… I dont have time to spend all that time like I used to trudging the shops to find the perfect gift for any occasion these days.
I am looking for ways to streamline to process of making a big deal (without making a BIG deal) about the birthday’s of people I care about.
For those that are always at their computer, I find the idea of e-cards wonderful. Here are a couple of the sites I have used to send e-cards from (hope you liked yours this morning C??):
- 123 Greetings – heaps and heaps of cute, funny, animated ecards – just dont be distracted by all the ads on this site
- Birthday Alarm – you have to sign in to use this site, but it can help you never to forget another birthday by sending you reminders
- Conscious Greetings – these are more spiritual and esoteric rather than cute, can be used for most occasions
- World Wildlife Fund – gorgeous pictures from a very good cause.. can be used for any occasion
- The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation – gorgeous cards that are very inspirational – not specifically for birthdays though
For those who arent so computer driven, I keep a stock of beautiful cards on hand, along with stamps and an address book – there really is nothing nicer than a hand written message received in the mail (as long as you remember to post the thing on time!!!)
Then for those we buy gifts for, there is always the option of online shopping – with delivery! How easy is it to shop online, and have them deliver the gift? No trudging the shops looking for the perfect gift or comparing prices, no buying card and paper, no wrapping, no parcelling, no queues at the post office, all done with a few clicks of the mouse… as Jane says, what’s not to like about that?