I received a huge slap in the face when I logged on this morning! So much so that I needed to go and do some stuff away from the computer and let my blood pressure go back down again.
Simon’s Money Notes conducted an exercise to work out which blogs were “worth commenting on“:
The exercise is pretty straight forward, I have to select 5 blogs in a particular niche that I think would be good to comment on and then write a detailed post explaining my reasons for picking those specific blogs. I can handle most of this, but there is one small snag, the niche has to be gardening. Without meaning any offence to possible readers that might be gardeners, who knows anything about gardening?
So, number 5 on his list of 5 gardening blogs, he wrote this:
5. TheClearingSpace – This blog comes at the end for obvious reasons, I don’t think it has anything really going for it as far as commenting potential goes. It does have a PR of 4 but with a limited amount of posts on the front page and apparent lack of existing comments, I think I’ll pass on this one.
Are gardening blogs about gardening? You’d think so, wouldn’t you? Hmmm… any of my regular readers consider the clearing space a gardening blog?
Nope, me either… do you think he knows that gardening is about, um, gardens?
Unless it’s gardening of the human spirit. After all, yesterday I did use a gardening metaphor… A spot of gardening – Erasing Catastrophe and Chaos.
I refuse to get into a slanging match with this guy. But I have a couple of questions for you – my wonderful readers.
- Do you care about the commenting ‘potential’? Do you pick which blogs to leave a comment on, based on whether or not you might get more traffic to your blog? [am I just totally naive, or do people really do this?]
- Do you find the limited amount of posts on the front page (which is a feature of the design) a turn off from reading The Clearing Space? (If you read through a feed reader, obviously this is totally irrelevant).
- Do you care whether thousands of people are not commenting here? Does it make my writing any less attractive to you?
- Do you care about page rank? Should I ?