Making a difference – noticing possibility!

September 22nd, 2007 · 7 Comments

Often times, it is easy to keep plodding along, doing our jobs, raising our kids and living our lives without the time or energy to think about whether we are doing – not enough - but the right things for us.

like sunshine breaking through the clouds of doubt…Life is chock-full of possibility, but when we get really busy with living it, sometimes it is hard to see past our schedule and to-do list to what that possibility may be.

I’m guilty of this. Some days I can almost see the possibility, shimmering out there on the edges of my vision… taunting me, teasing me, enticing me with a feeling of something better, something truly wonderful.

For isn’t that what possibility is? A magical sense of what could be?

Then, life gets chaotic… again… and I lose that sense of possibility in the daily doingness. It’s been happening a lot lately. I’ve had this feeling that if only the world would stop for a while, I would be able to finally see what that is – sitting there on the edge of my vision. Only, of course, the world isn’t going to stop. It isn’t even going to slow down any.

So, the universe has it’s own way of dealing with things – doesn’t it? Since I’m not taking the time, it starts to hit me around the head with hints. I guess I have been getting hints for a few years now, and I do take some notice… only I never stop to really absorb the messages.

The universe isn’t one to be trifled with. When you don’t hear the messages, they become louder and louder – from many and varied sources, in the hope that in the end, the combined impact of all those voices will eventually coalesce into the lightening bolt that finally reaches your soul.

And so it was this week with me. I learned that my biggest possibility is that I make a difference. It’s been a gut-wrenching kind of realisation – the kind that makes me well with tears just writing about it. You can read of my journey, and some of the voices sent by the universe, at Joyful Jubilant Learning today – and while you are there, please check out the comments made by some amazing, truly awe-inspiring people.

Now this is possibility!

How do you make a difference?

Greg Balanko-Dickson left me a beautiful comment, with some wise words I couldn’t resist. This is beautiful – thanks Greg!

It is not what we learn in conversation that enriches us. It is the elation that comes of swift contact with tingling currents of thought.

- Agnes Repplier

Tags: Getting Still · Joyful Jubilant Learning · Noticing Miracles · Reinvention

• 1 Chris // Sep 22, 2007 at 3:09 pm

Well I’ve been over to JJL and had my socks knocked off.
    Once again a superbly well done soul-touching piece of writing. The goosebumps haven’t gone away yet!

• 2 karen // Sep 22, 2007 at 4:09 pm

Thanks Chris, for checking in here, and for your beautiful comments, there. You’re a treasure! My life is richer and more rewarding because you are my friend (and because I know you’ll hold me to account if I show any signs of self-doubt).

• 3 Chris // Sep 22, 2007 at 5:27 pm

I’m rubbing my hands at the thought of getting you back on the accountability thing! Only trouble is, now you’ve absorbed the message I mightn’t get the chance to hold you to anything! Bummer!

• 4 Joanna Young // Sep 22, 2007 at 7:11 pm

Karen, you’re too much! Another wonderful piece of writing, stunning photo and fantastic quote courtesy of Greg… you’ve quite left me tingling!

Joanna

• 5 Rosa Say // Sep 24, 2007 at 12:15 pm

My goodness Karen, you have a way of starting things, don’t you! All in a very good way, bringing out our hearts to be worn on our sleeves and offered to the world with outstretched arms. I cannot wait to see what you will start next with The Calm Space :)

• 6 Greg Balanko-Dickson // Sep 24, 2007 at 2:26 pm

Great transparency and exciting to see you pick up and continue on the theme. Learning to pay attention, be present, and acknowledge our ability to impact others is a very significant observation.

I believe that we cannot build what we cannot see – if we do not see ourselves making a difference, having an impact, and visualizing what it will be like (making a difference) it is very difficult to move outside our comfortable lives into the unknown.

Yet, it is those very moments that we feel most alive and connected with ourselves and one another. Then the universe rises to meet our expectations. Truly a magical and life affirming experience.

You are on a great quest, congratulations!

• 7 Lokahi: the language of collaboration | Confident Writing // Aug 5, 2008 at 11:58 pm

[...] own business goals. He shares a quote with Karen that sets her off writing to her own readers at the Clearing Space, another set of people who are reading, being inspired by words, actions, the energy of [...]