Seeking the lessons in stuckness

September 29th, 2007 · 8 Comments

We’re stuck. It seems that life is like one big clogged drain pipe at the moment. Only a trickle can get through.

Have you ever had times like this? When, despite all your best efforts, everything takes an inordinate amount of effort to get happening? Everything that could go wrong, does. And delays abound.

Each individual incidence doesn’t seem like much. The landscaper who was meant to start fixing the paving on Tuesday (after waiting months) – and will now start next Monday due to hold ups on the previous job. The new hot water system meant to be delivered Tuesday so our builder could get it installed Wednesday being lost in transit & finally delivered Friday. The old hot water system leaking all remaining hot water out on the ground this morning – and no electrician to wire the new one in until Monday (looks like cold showers this weekend). The money I was owed from a maturing options account that took three months to get paid (finally, on Thursday!) with constant follow ups. And I cannot forget the phonecall from Leah whilst I was at the supermarket on Tuesday night – Leah who was on the homestretch to getting The Calm Space right for launch on Monday 1st October. Leah with no internet connection for three days.

There’s more too, but that’s enough for you to get the picture!

So this morning over breakfast (before discovering the leaking hot water!) G and I were talking about stuckness. Silly thoughts – like the full moon this week and black cats crossing our path. And more serious thoughts. Thoughts about what is causing the obstruction.

And what lessons we are to learn from the stuckness.

Whilst it could be patience – I have a feeling that isn’t it. I don’t think all this is about being patient (although, admitedly ours has been sorely tested a few times lately), and I don’t necessarily think it’s about all good things come to those who wait (another option we explored).

It is my feeling that the stuckness is about what space we need to clear in our lives – what things or thoughts we need to shed (like a dog shedding its winter coat) in order to let new growth and opportunities into our life.

In order to clear the drain pipe of the obstructions stopping the flow, I believe we need to eliminate clutter in all its forms from our lives.

carting the rubbish away to make space for new opportunities!Last weekend (after a two week delay, naturally) we ordered a skip bin – six cubic metres of emptiness for the throwing of rubbish. Bliss for a couple who really like to clear the decks. We spent most of last weekend tossing stuff into the bin – all the debris left from the bathroom renovation, lots of junk from the shed, and so many cardboard boxes! And I took a boot-load of donations to Lifeline as well. Woohoo.

Today, the truck came and carted the skip and all the rubbish away. I don’t think we’re quite done with clearing the decks just yet, though. I think we could have filled twice that size skip! But oh boy, it feels good to walk out the back door and see pathways and gardens rather than piles of debris!

I am hoping that maybe now we’ve recognised there was a blockage and actively looked to see what we could learn from it, things will start to flow smoothly again.

Have you experienced anything like this?

Tags: Heart and Home · Hmmm... · Watch Out for Those Potholes

• 1 Chris // Sep 29, 2007 at 4:58 pm

OOOO! Now we’re getting deep!
    Hadn’t thought of that! Now that i think about it, there’s a stuckness in my business at the moment. Now you’ve got me wondering what might be the obstruction in the drain. I don’t think it’s about patience in my case either, even though that’s a perennial lesson I face!
    I think it’s about belief in success and deserving success.
    Hmm great food for thought Karen!

• 2 Leah Maclean // Sep 29, 2007 at 5:30 pm

The internet comes back and guess which the first blog post I read is ……

You are spot on here Karen. Just like you’ve done for Chris (and do for us all on a regular basis) you have given me food for thought (actually in this case a banquet).

Well I think it might be time to get things flowing for The Calm Space :-)

• 3 Joanna Young // Oct 2, 2007 at 1:48 am

Yes, most often when I need to sit down and write something new! Thanks for the reminder that I need to start by clearing the old stuff out of the way

Joanna

PS Can’t wait to see the calm space!

• 4 Rosa Say // Oct 2, 2007 at 8:54 am

“Have you experienced anything like this?”

Yes, yes, yes! And I am with you:

“It is my feeling that the stuckness is about what space we need to clear in our lives – what things or thoughts we need to shed…”

I am fully intent on continuing my clutter banishment this month (and likely through the rest of the year!) so we will give each other moral support Karen.

The Calm Space may be teaching us a lesson in its patience :)

• 5 karen // Oct 2, 2007 at 3:41 pm

Chris, Leah, Joanna, Rosa – thank you so much for popping by and taking the time to leave a comment. Your visits and your words inspire me.

• 6 Suzanne // Dec 17, 2008 at 12:11 pm

Karen, thank you, this is the time out we all need from our frenetic lives.
    Stuckness: it is like a virus that returns from time to time when we allow ourselves to become run down. Pushed by the every day concerns of the marketplace, our families, our friends and life around us. Sometimes this leaves us wondering why we allow this to happen. I think that often it is because we care so much about all of these things. However the market place can be one of the hardest concerns to control in our lives as it can be the most threatening to us. So how does one unstick themselves from that concern and maintain a calm space from which to operate.
    For me, I’m a list maker, but still there is the concern of being a pest in the name of business. I try to followup so people don’t think they are forgotten, but yet to give enough space for them to feel ok is a hard thing to measure.
    Feeling stuck can be a desperate feeling, but once I make decision I can move on. Its just that some “D”s are harder than others. That is where my wonderful friends are so valueable, helping me to sort through the issues in order to make that “D”.
    My wealth personally is in the friends I call blessings.

• 7 karen // Dec 27, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Hi Suzanne and welcome to the Clearing Space! It’s lovely to have you visit and leave a comment. Thank you.

Stuckness as a virus – that’s a really interesting thought. It does return when we allow ourselves to become run down, doesn’t it? You’ve given me lots of food for thought, thanks!

• 8 Clearing the way to start writing with clarity | Confident Writing // May 11, 2011 at 12:42 am

[...] we need to clear things out of the way before we can get [...]