Planning on being Me… and no-one else

October 29th, 2007 · 8 Comments

Always be a first rate version of yourself instead of a second rate version of someone else.
~ Judy Garland

the storm never lasts… we have to remember that when the lightning is striking around us

As I start another week, ushered in by violent storms right through Sunday night and into the morning, I found this quote.

Yes, you’ve probably heard it before. I have. But it is no less meaningful or right for this week, this particular spot in our lives, is it?

Who are you? Are you the best you you can be?

Or are you trying to be ‘just like’ someone else? As my sons used to want to be ‘just like Dad’ when they grow up? (Isn’t it sad when they grow out of that hero worship stage?)

This week, I plan on being the first rate version of Karen.

Karen. The whole Karen and nothing but Karen – so help me God.

Who are you being this week?

Tags: Resourcing for Women Who Do Too Much · Start Your Week with Joy

• 1 April Groves // Oct 30, 2007 at 1:35 am

I LOVE THIS POST!! I need to figure out a way to email it myself everyday.

Karen, you are awesome. I am so very thankful for the this “space.”

• 2 Brandie Kajino // Oct 30, 2007 at 7:58 am

I love that quote. Only when we truly appreciate ourselves will we feel safe to be fully ourselves. Realizing that we have a purpose that only we can fulfill in our own way helps us take the next step. Be who you are, and tune those other “nay-sayers” out. You’re you, and that’s pretty outstanding.
    Make it a great day!

• 3 karen // Oct 30, 2007 at 10:07 am

April – thank you. I am humbled that this post touched you like this. You are very special!

Brandie – thanks for dropping by. It’s so nice to hear from you. Sometimes we just need that little reminder to be ourselves, especially when the naysayers have been doing what they do best, don’t we? I know I sure do!

• 4 Leah Maclean // Oct 31, 2007 at 4:32 am

This is a wonderfully inspring post Karen. It reminds me about so many people that seem to go through life paraphrasing a wonderful song by the great philosopher … Kermit.

“It’s not easy bein’ “me”.
    It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things.
    And people tend to pass you over ’cause you’re not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water-
    or stars in the sky”.

Thankfully we all sparkle the best when we are genuinely ourselves.

• 5 Tina Su // Oct 31, 2007 at 7:44 am

I like what you’re doing with your blog. Keep up the awesome work. Great Post!

Love & Gratitude,
    Tina
    Think Simple. Be Decisive.
    ~ Productivity, Motivation & Happiness

• 6 karen // Nov 4, 2007 at 12:56 pm

Leah, thank you. Your validation and Kermit’s words mean a lot to me…

Tina, thank you for visiting and for your very kind comment! It’s great to have you here and I do hope you’ll drop by often.

• 7 Pete Aldin // Dec 4, 2007 at 8:36 pm

All i can say is … that is awesome!

• 8 karen // Dec 7, 2007 at 3:31 pm

Pete – coming from you, that is a huge compliment. Thank you!!