A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

April 21st, 2008 · 15 Comments

Three years ago, I started a journey. I took my first steps full of trepidation, wondering how they would be received.

Slowly I grew in confidence while all the time searching for the right thing to say.

I knew, right from the start, that I was meant to do this. It was in my blood – that calling – like some ancient knowing.

At times, I came close to addiction – unable to simply walk away. There was always just. one. more.

Then life would interrupt, or I’d feel insecure and inadequate. Or I’d simply change my mind, and move in an entirely different direction.

But I kept finding a path. At times well trodden, where others had gone before. Other times, I needed a machete to slash away the undergrowth and forge my own path ahead.

And those times I struggled to find the path often led to beautiful vistas, found unexpectedly as I crest a rise, or round a corner.

Friends have helped me, held me up when I couldn’t do it alone, forever encouraging me on my journey.

Some have made sarcastic or dismissive comments about this journey of mine. They just make me stronger and more determined.

I am a very different person today to the one I was three years ago. My growth and my learning on this journey have been incredible.

I have made sacrifices, but hold no regrets.

I will stay on this path I have chosen, wandering the trails and hidden lanes, the open paddocks and the mossy streams. And I reserve the right at all times to change my path – to decide a detour has become the route. To change direction and to move with the seasons and the ebb and flow of life.

I’d love to have your company on my journey – for a moment or a lifetime, or any space in between. I know we’ll have fun.

Today is the third anniversary of The Clearing Space blog. Thank you thank you thank you.

Tags: Heart and Home · Noticing Miracles · Start Your Week with Joy

• 1 Chris Owen // Apr 21, 2008 at 4:41 pm

It can’t be 3!!!! years!!!!!
    It’s flown by!
    I’m so glad I’ve shared the journey thus far!
    Let’s raise our glasses tonight to this wonderful birthday and all the joy (and even the sorrows) its brought you and the rest of us.
    Congratulations dear friend! You deserve all the kudos you can get!

• 2 Caylie // Apr 21, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Hi Karen

Congratulations!!! I only came across your blog about a month ago but having read a couple of recent posts I had to go back and read every single archived post.
    Your welcoming, calm and generous thoughts are truly inspiring!!
    Keep up the fantastic work!!!
    From,

The Addicted

• 3 Angela Esnouf // Apr 21, 2008 at 5:13 pm

What beautiful, beautiful words you’ve written. They are the reason I keep coming back to read more. I’m so glad to have shared in some part of your journey, and from now on I’ll be here every step of the way.

• 4 karen // Apr 21, 2008 at 6:01 pm

Chris – thank you. You have walked beside me and been my friend and support for so much of this journey – thank you from the bottom of my heart.

• 5 karen // Apr 21, 2008 at 6:03 pm

Caylie,
    I am overwhelmed by your beautiful comment. Thank you.

It’s thoughts like these from wonderful people like you that keep me trudging on!

Please let me know if there is anything in particular you’d like to see here.

• 6 karen // Apr 21, 2008 at 6:04 pm

Angela,
    It’s always a joy to have you visit. You always say the nicest things and I am really looking forward to sharing my journey with you – you’ve added so much already!

• 7 Joanna Young // Apr 21, 2008 at 7:10 pm

Wow, Karen, three years, that’s fantastic!

I recognise so much of what you write about the journey you’re on. It’s tough at times isn’t it? Yet once we’ve set off it’s like there’s an inner voice which says – there’s no going back, however hard this gets, we’re going to keep going.

I’m delighted to have the chance to share some of it with you Karen

Joanna

• 8 karen // Apr 22, 2008 at 10:23 am

Thank you Joanna. That’s it exactly! That inner voice is right, isn’t it?

And I am delighted you’re sharing this journey with me. Thank you for your company.

• 9 Leah Maclean // Apr 22, 2008 at 11:13 am

Ah 3 years … where has it gone. I’ve been proud to see you grow in understanding and confidence of what you bring to others, as well as you abilities to write such an attractive and absorbing blog. So much in shared in those 3 years and yet still so much more yet to come.

It has been on honour to be on this journey with you :-)

• 10 karen // Apr 22, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Thank you Leah, you’ve been with me every step of the way and I wouldn’t have even started on this journey without your encouragement and inspiration!

Thank you for your generous words – they mean the world to me.

• 11 Dianne // Apr 25, 2008 at 11:04 am

Happy Birthday! x

Karen, I am so glad you took that first step and had special people in your life to support you.

The Clearing Space is an awesome place!

Wishing you continued success and happiness on your journey.

This is part of an Irish blessing:

May the road rise to meet you.
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face.
    :o )

• 12 karen // Apr 25, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Thank you Dianne, and welcome to The Clearing Space. You’re lovely words fill my heart to overflowing…

Thank you for the blessing, I feel very blessed to have such wonderful people all leave such beautiful comments, and now an Irish blessing as well! How lucky can one girl get?

• 13 Links Less Ordinary « Lives Less Ordinary // Apr 27, 2008 at 1:43 am

[...] at The Clearing Space celebrated her blog’s 3rd anniversary with a really lovely post called A Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins With a Single Step. I will stay on this path I have chosen, wandering the trails and hidden lanes, the open paddocks [...]

• 14 Darren Daz Cox // May 2, 2008 at 1:35 am

I’m a man, am I not welcome here?

• 15 karen // May 3, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Hi Darren,
    Welcome! I am thrilled you asked the question, because I guess it needed to be asked. I am happy to welcome you here (and all men), as long as you’re interested in reading what I have to say.

90% of my readers are women, and I write TO them, but I write FOR anyone who will listen and take away a little something for themselves.

If you visit, and leave with a lighter heart, feeling a little calmer, or more centered, or less alone, I will rejoice.