Our duty to be happy

August 8th, 2008 · 12 Comments

There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy.

By being happy we sow anonymous benefits upon the world.

Robert Louis Stevenson

I often think about being happy, what makes us happy and what stops us feeling content. (Drives my family crazy!)

On one of those thinking expeditions a few months ago, I came to the realisation that drastic change was necessary for my inner equilibrium. Something was throwing me off kilter. Way off.

I’ve been dropping hints about change here and there quite a bit lately, and now’s the time to tell you that the steps have been taken. The fear has been faced. The aftermath has been lived through.

Today is a red letter day indeed, and not just for the auspiciousness of the date.

For the last 20 years, I have held down a corporate job with the same company. I’ve borne my children while working for them. I’ve seen countless people come and go, made friends, grown as the company has grown and learned innumerable lessons along the way. I have grown up, I guess, working for them.

No longer.

I dropped off the key, Lee, I’m free. (Actually, it was a computer, not a key, but that doesn’t work in the song that’s been reverberating around in my head for the last week). Last night at 6pm I logged out for the last time.

This morning I woke up a free woman.

I no longer have staff reporting to me. I no longer report to the MD in another state. I no longer need to switch on my computer at 8am every morning and check emails. I no longer need to deal with complaining clients and recalcitrant staff!

I’ve left it in good hands – hands that are eager for the challenge, a heart that’s ready to take charge and a level of energy and enthusiasm that I had lost, somewhere along the way.

Now is my time. I’m not sure exactly what that will look like, but I am certain that The Calm Space is going to be a big part of that. The dreams and ideas are bulging from my notebooks and now, apparently, I’ll have time for them.

It’s going to take a bit of getting used to. Right now, I’m not sure I feel any different… but the two beautiful bunches of flowers remind me that something very special has happened this week.

Today is celebration day.

Here’s to being happy.

Tags: Noticing Miracles · Reinvention

• 1 Joh // Aug 8, 2008 at 7:55 pm

Wow, Karen, that must feel wonderful. Good for you! An auspicious calendar date for a fresh new beginning. Looking forward to reading you more.

• 2 Joanna Young // Aug 8, 2008 at 11:12 pm

Here’s to freedom! What a wonderful auspicious date to start your new life. I look forward to sharing part of the new journey with you

Joanna

• 3 karen // Aug 9, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Thanks Joh! It does feel wonderful and I do hope to be writing more now. Yes, a fresh new beginning indeed. Thanks for popping by!

• 4 karen // Aug 9, 2008 at 3:58 pm

Thank you Joanna, you’ve been an inspiration to me – you ‘escaped’ and that made me think that I could too. It’s going to be an interesting journey from here… thanks for your comment.

• 5 Leah Maclean // Aug 11, 2008 at 8:20 am

You are now at that place where your dreams are in yours hands, your focus is your choice and the world can now get the full benefit of your wisdom and your efforts.

Well down on achieving this milestone. I understand how important it is to you and am very proud of the steps that you’ve made to get here.

• 6 karen // Aug 11, 2008 at 9:51 am

Thank you Leah, from the bottom of my heart. You’ve been there for me the whole way along this journey – and it has taken a long time. I appreciate your belief in me and your patience.

Here’s to creating really big dreams!

• 7 Rosa Say // Aug 12, 2008 at 5:46 pm

Oh Karen, I am so thrilled for you reading this! This is absolutely fabulous news.

I can imagine how your mind is racing, and how exciting your new ideas are right now, yet I do hope you will take some very self-indulgent time to do absolutely nothing! Sit, drink in the whole of your now-free life and savor this.

So proud of you for making this leap!
    Ho‘omaika‘i ‘ana – Congratulations,
    Rosa

• 8 David Zinger // Aug 13, 2008 at 6:17 am

Karen,

I read this and felt almost an instant sense of weightlessness with the freedom to move anywhere.

Take care and carry on caring,

David

• 9 Karen Putz // Aug 15, 2008 at 11:59 am

Here’s to a beautiful, new journey! Enjoy!

• 10 karen // Aug 15, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Rosa, thank you. It’s taken me a couple of days to reply to you here, and we have had a conversation in between, but I do want to tell you how much your support, encouragement and pride mean to me. Yes, my mind is racing – and I feel a bit lightheaded and dizzy with it all.

I am going to take your advice and start with the self-indulgence. I DO need that. Thank you.
    Karen

• 11 karen // Aug 15, 2008 at 12:22 pm

David, an ‘instant sense of weightlessness” – YES! That IS what it feels like. I feel giddy and as if my feet aren’t anywhere near the ground… which can be quite disorienting at times.

I am looking forward to exploring the possibilities that this freedom creates for me. Thanks for sharing the journey.

Karen x

• 12 karen // Aug 15, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Karen – thank you so much for visiting over here. I appreciate your comment and hope you’ll join me on this journey of discovery.

Karen x